My parents came up to visit me this weekend, which was really nice. We went to a little town that's close to here called Salado. I'd heard it was a good place to take moms because they have antique stores, gift shops, bed & breakfasts, etc. So I'd mentioned it to my mom and she decided that's what she wanted for her birthday... a trip to Salado.
I'm so glad that it turned out to be worth the drive. Do you ever hope that plans you arrange or suggest don't disappoint? You're smiling on the outside and cringing on the inside thinking, "please be worth it." That's kinda how I felt. But the day was perfect... a little drizzly in the mornin', but compared with the normal Texas heat, the drizzle brought in some cool air. It's hard to believe that a 40 min. drive from my house, there's a place with such naturally beautiful landscaping(my town isn't exactly attractive). I really wish I'd taken my camera.
After lunch, the sun started to come out... you could feel a little bit of steam coming off the ground and the humidity welcomed itself back into town. It felt like summer in Texas... like all the summers I enjoyed when I was little. There was a beautiful creek surrounded by lush trees and I could hear the chicharras singing away as they perched there. An unexpected surprise were some ruins of an old college... I enjoy reading the historical markers... I get that from my dad, and there were a few in town for us to get to.
For lunch, we were recommended to this steak and rib place in town, Johnnie's, over the fru-fru tea-rooms. I'm assuming it's owned by an Aggie, because it had A&M stuff here n' there... it was great! Living in a military area, the towns have a lack of character... but there, I felt like I was in Texas. Outside the restaurant, you saw... truck, truck, truck, car, truck, truck... and my heart sighed.

No comments:
Post a Comment