Sunday, July 02, 2006

Humbled

"Oh, say can you see..." Those were the first words spoken this morning in our church service, only after the flags were presented. Having lived in Texas all my life, I'm used to being around Patriotism. Not until I moved to a military town, had I experienced it on this level. The first half of our sermon was a parade of flags, one for each of our military branches and their songs played in the background, while recognizing veterans from each.

I hadn't realized that so many in our congregation are veterans of each of the branches. Currently, our church has approximately 145 soldiers deployed to Iraq, my husband included. The front of our church is lined with flags, one for each of our soldiers currently deployed, a reminder as you drive by on your daily to and fros. In the pews, there are more soldiers that have orders to deploy in the Fall. I have so many feelings this morning, the greatest being humility.

To see men and women stand in recognition of their service...

Being proud that my husband believes so strongly in his convictions, as to live by them...

To pass kleenex and to and hold hands with fellow wives awaiting their husbands' return...

Reflecting on the sacrifices our forefathers made...

Being thankful for my freedom, of which I've done nothing to deserve...

Watching a young wife recently widowed, being presented a flag... she is also a soldier...

I know there are many that despise America right now and are anxious to put a match to our flag or curse our leaders. But as you light your fireworks on Tuesday, eat your BBQ, and drink your ice tea... remember that freedom isn't free.

Pray for our soldiers

No comments: