Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hubby Is Home

My husband is home, yay!!! I arrived at the gym, where the homecoming was to be, around 4:00pm to help hang banners. I was paranoid that if I left, I wouldn't make it back in enough time to get a good seat or miss the ceremony all together. I mean, the flight times change constantly, so I figured it'd be my luck to leave and the flight arrives an hour earlier and I show up and everyone's gone. So I stayed and waited... it was well worth the wait!

The gym didn't start to fill up until around 7:00 and then the DJ started playing music loudly. Kids ran into the middle of the gym turning cart-wheels, break-dancing, running, and just being silly. Veterans were there passing out flags and people were pouring in with signs, flowers, balloons, cameras, and the biggest smiles.

At 7:15, they announced that our troops would be landing in about 30 minutes and then at 7:30, they announced that they had landed. So we got ready. We figured it would take them about 30 minutes to process their weapons and get to the gym. We were wrong! The music continued, people began to cheer, and cameras were held high towards the door for what seemed like forever! Pure torture!

Finally, at 8:45 the music changed (to what, I can't remember but it was exciting) and the smoke machines started working over time (actually, I didn't notice the smoke until I tried to take a picture and it was very cloudy). And then we could see the first soldier and people went nuts screaming at the top of their lungs. I couldn't scream however, because my eyes were filled with tears. I saw soldier after soldier pass and identified many of my friends' husbands, but I didn't see mine and got scared that he wasn't on that plane. Then, finally, I saw him. He stood out... his 6' 2" frame couldn't have been confused with any other. I worried I wouldn't be able to pin-point him with a hat on, but people assured me I would... they were right. What a feeling! I had picked the perfect seat, as he stood in formation, we were almost aligned with one another. It took less than one minute for us to meet-up once they were dismissed.

From the moment we held each other, we picked up where we left off, laughing and holding each other tightly. My husband is home and it feels so fantastic. His first meal back... Beef Enchiladas, which we ate on the living room floor picinic-style... our favorite way to eat dinner. :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Thank you, Peter! :D Wes said, "See, it's bringing us closer together just as I fore told." Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Melissa, I'm so happy for you!

Melissa said...

Thank you, Rachel! :D I feel like a newlywed... oh wait, I still am. ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I haven't kept up with your blog in a while, but congrats on your man being home safe. Mine isn't deployed, but he's away at training at Ft. Benning. I haven't seen him since Oct 30, and I prob won't see him till Dec 15ish.

Melissa said...

Wow! That's a long time! Your homecoming will be so sweet though and you'll appreciate each other even more.