Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gregory's Birth Story

As women, we all dream of what the day will be like when we go into labor and share in the birth of our babies. There's even a part of us that thinks about the worst case scenario and prays that none of those things would come to pass. Well, I can certainly say that our dream delivery didn't happen, but neither did my worst case scenario. Nope, Gregory wanted a story all his own... this is what happened.

On Monday, Nov.26th, I had a routine doctor's appointment. I was feeling great and knew this would take about 15 minutes and then I could go home finish up my partially typed grocery list, then head off to Target and spend the rest of the day getting the house in order. The first thing they do is check your urine, which had never been a problem, but that day I had protein... not good. The next thing they check is your blood pressure. Mine was 160/100... also, not good. So the doctor told me to go to the hospital for some lab work and said, "you may have to go on bed-rest for 24hours or stay in the hospital overnight, but it's probably not a big deal." I thought it was a little inconvenient, but I'd do it if I had to. Once I left, I started to get a little anxious and called both Wes and my mom to let them know what was going on.

I spent the rest of the day hooked up to a blood pressure machine and even though Wes encouraged me not to, I couldn't help but look at the results. The last time I looked my blood pressure had gotten up to 180/110, that's when I stopped looking. They put me on Magnesium to bring down my blood pressure and to keep me from seizing and they gave me a steroid shot to help develop Gregory's lungs. They were saying they'd have to induce me for labor on Wednesday and his lungs needed to develop more.

I had severe PIH (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension... A.K.A. Preeclampsia). Because it had become a high risk delivery and Gregory would be a Level II preemie, they had to find another hospital that took our insurance, had a bed, and could handle a level II preemie. So I was transferred that night to another hospital. The next day was more testing, an ultrasound, and an attempt to induce me. Later that afternoon, I was told that my placenta was starting to be compromised and that Gregory's heart rate, which had been healthy this whole time, was beginning to dip. They were concerned that if they waited until the next day to deliver, something would happen overnight and they wouldn't have enough time to get all the right people together. So Tuesday, Nov. 27th, I was told that I would not be leaving without having a baby... I would be having an emergency C-section that night!

The C-section itself wasn't scary. They did attempt to give me an epidural twice, that was the scary part. Not because of the big needle, needles don't scare me. For whatever reason, they sat me up to give me the epidural, which caused me blood pressure to drop. The first attempt, I remember telling them I felt weak and like I was going to pass-out. I almost started crying, but remained conscious. They laid me back down and then decided to prop me up and try again. The second time, I passed out before I even realized what was happening. All I remember was hearing them say my name over and over. They asked me what I was going to name our baby and that's when I came to and gasped, "Gregory." The doctor said I was out for 30-40 seconds. That's what scared me the most and I remember praying.

My conversation with God was like nothing I'd ever had before. I thought I'd surrendered things to Him before, but not like that night. I remember wondering if I'd make it through... if Gregory would... if both of us would... How would Wes handle it if we didn't? I also remember telling God that this isn't what I wanted, but if this is what He had for us, for whatever reason, then okay. I don't know if it really was a close call, but it felt like it to me. Twice they talked about putting me completely under because the epidural wasn't taking. Finally, it worked and Wes was able to come in for the surgery.

I didn't expect to see Gregory and I certainly didn't expect to hear him. I didn't get to see him until the next evening, but we did get to hear his tiny cry. It was so amazing and it gave me so much hope. He was born 3lb. 1.5oz. and 15.5 inches long. We still don't have a time frame of when he'll get to come home, but he is improving everyday. There are certain benchmarks he needs to meet before they'll release him. Please pray that he'll be able to continue to gain weight, maintain his own body temperature, and breast or bottle feed. He finished his first bottle on Monday and finished another one today. It's slow coming, but he's working really hard and I'm so proud of him!

When I think about everything that happened, I get really emotional and I'm so grateful. God has been so merciful and gracious. I know His hand is on Gregory. That He is watching over him and protecting him. How can you give adequate thanks for such a huge blessing?

Gregory, I love you. You are my beautiful gift and I cannot wait to have you home with us.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Congratulations little family I thank God that He was there with you and pray His protection on you all as Gregory comes home! (Psalm 91)

Melissa said...

Thank you so much, Beth. :)

Michelle said...

I'm sure you knew I'd be checking in for your first Gregory story, and of course you have me choked up again.. but you just have a way with words. What a blessing Gregory is, and I'm so VERY glad Wes doesn't have to worry about fending for himself!!! :-) (((hugs))) love, Mich

Morgan said...

Gregory is a strong little boy, and i know he will be home in no time! we're praying for ya melissa!

EMWilkinson said...

Scary! But I'm so glad to hear mom and baby are doing ok. I hope and pray that he continues to do well. I'm sure he'll grow stronger each day and be home with mom and dad soon! I was wondering if maybe you had the baby since you hadn't posted in a while...but I didn't realize how early you still were! CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING!

Coffman Family said...

Thank you for sharing this. I cried just reading it - I will definitely be praying for him and you both.

~Denise~ said...

Congrats and many thoughts heading your way for Gregory. I'm a preeclampsia survivor myself and my first had to spend time in the NICU.

Many blessing to you and your family.

EMWilkinson said...

p.s. I'm sure we all can't wait to see his pictures when he's all healthy and home! :)

Beth said...

Merry Christmas Melissa and family!