Just a bit of encouragement for anyone that is trying to breast feed, but has had difficulties. Gregory is 10 weeks old now and we've not exactly had the smoothest road since his birth, which has made it seem nearly impossible to get him to breast feed. Almost halfway through his stay in the NICU, I got a staph infection, which delayed initial attempts by two weeks. I then hired a lactation consultant after the hospital told me they didn't do outpatient care. The LC was able to get him to latch on, but when it was just the two of us, we couldn't even get a bad latch-on. It was so bad that Gregory would either go into his little preemie dream world or scream like I was trying to hurt him. We would "practice" four feedings a day for twenty minutes and always were unsuccessful... talk about frustration. Then a couple of weeks ago, Wes had to go to the emergency room a couple of times and then to surgery for kidney stones. See what I mean, not a smooth road.
I was about ready to give up. The only thing that kept me trying was that the LC had offered to come back again for a follow-up. I was holding onto that and him getting bigger, hoping these two factors would do the trick. Well, finally this past weekend, I decided to try again. I wasn't even close to optimistic, but thought I should give it a shot... and low and behold, it worked! I wanted to scream, but quietly and enthusiastically asked Wes, "can you hear that?!?" "I think he's got it!!!" "I think it's happening!" Granted it wasn't a text-book latch and hasn't been most of this week. Finally today though, I think we've got it down! Not only that, but last night was the first night I didn't bottle feed him. I was bottle feeding him at night because it was much faster! I feel like we accomplished something HUGE. I mean, we've only been working on this for how long now??? And have spent quite a bit of money on a hospital pump, a personal pump, pumping accessories, bottles, plastic storage bags, and a lactation consultant! BTW... if you know me, live in my area, and need a LC, e-mail or call me and I'll give you her number- she is AWESOME, oh so knowledgeable, and very passionate about what she does. We've talked on the phone a few times since and she's coming for our follow-up on Monday.

9 comments:
Yeah!! Breastfeeding is so awesome. I am still bf Cortlyn in the morning and evening. It was hard for him at first and I had no help but we made it!! It's great when it finally works!!
Oh, that is wonderful Melissa. I love your perseverance. That gives me much hope and will remind me to be patient when my time comes. Thanks for honestly sharing!
That is great! I bet you are so relieved!!
That is so great! It was worth sticking with it through all the hardships! It paid off!
Great job! I gave up for the pump after about a month with my first...but I also knew I had to return to work after 6-8 weeks. My son took to BF so easily until he became jaundiced and they had me supplement formula to help with that...then he was like...wow...this is easy...so it kinda messed it up. I should have tried to get back to it...but again...I had to start back to work, so I was going to have to pump anyway. It's so awesome that you stuck with it and it's working out for you now! At least you kept pumping too it sounds like...that really helps get the milk going to make it easier for them. :) Good luck, I hope it continues to be a success for you!
Yea - I was so happy to see pictures! I've had updates here and there and have been praying. Glad he's home! You look wonderful and good for you for your hard work! You're a wonderful Mommy already!
can I just say how proud I am of you for continuing to try so hard!That is a lot to endure! Congrats and I hope it continues to get better.
Yeah well done you...that is so great that you kept going and it works! It's so wonderful to share the joy this wee man brings you guys!!
I am so glad this has worked out for you! What a triumph! I hope everything is still going well. Love seeing pics of your "little man". He is so adorable!
Post a Comment