I asked his dr. about isolation today. Specifically, "is isolation over?" His response, "Isolation is never really over." Huh? What? That's not an answer. My mom was with me and agreed he was pretty vague. He left the room and came back so I tried to get him to pin down a better answer. He then did say there is no real answer, but he'd feel comfortable with him going wherever at 6 months... are you kidding?!? I asked if this is because he's a preemie or because he's a baby. He said it's because he's a baby.
Now, I'm all for protecting little ones and not taking them out in public right after birth and not letting dirty gross people get all over them, but I've NEVER heard of keeping a baby isolated for 6 months. He did say I could go to places like Target early in the morning before it gets crowded and stuff like that. Gregory still needs to keep his distance from kiddos that are between the ages of like 5-13 years old though. So I need to talk this over with Wes and see what he thinks. My community is mostly church and I've been away for so long. I want to take him, but I also don't want him to get sick... argh! I'm interested to know what would you do? If this isn't a preemie issue, then heck, am I just being paranoid and overly protective? Again, I'm not talking about going crazy and taking him all over God's green earth and letting anyone get a hold of him, but it's time people... life must go on...
Okay, I didn't mean to rant, but I guess it had to come out. BTW... here are a couple of cute recent pics on Easter day at my parents' house. :)

6 comments:
Not that I am wise in these things, but I would GET OUT! He is clearly big enough to fight any small infection and mommy needs to get back into relationships. I'm feeling for you, and I don't think you will be putting your baby at risk any more than other mommies who resurface after the first 6 weeks of life hiatus. 6 months??? Craziness!
6 months?? That makes me want to curse in both hungarian and english... I can only tell you what my pedi said - wait 8 weeks, after which point babies get vaccines and start to develop some of their own immunity. Your steadfastness in giving him breastmilk will also boost his immunity. You could surely take him to church and just avoid the nursery and children's area for a while. And it's okay to tell small children look, but don't touch! Good luck! His first cold will probably happen by the time he's 6 months old anyway, which will kick his disease fighters into action. :)
get out of the house. Make people wash their hands if they want to hold or touch him. He'll be fine, your doctor may not be if he keeps telling you to stay indoors! You might have to take out your frustration on him :)
Hi he is so incredibly cute. From memory and it was a long time ago...our advice was eight weeks. I'm no doctor but I think I would have needed medical help of a psychological nature if I'd stayed in for 6months. If it was me I'd rugby tackle anyone (sorry ummm American football dive?) any one who came near him with a cough or sniffle but otherwise go out, at least to church or an early morning shop at least! Glad to see he's so big and strong now! Bethxx
Both of my kids were a month early...probably not as early/small as gregory...but we took them out right away. I only had bad comments made to me once...actually made passing me as if I couldn't hear. Both my kids never got RSV. Now...that said...you just have to use mommy judgement. Don't let people kiss all over or touch his face. duh. Keep young kids away...but especially if they have runny noses/crusty noses/cough. again duh. I think your doc sounds a bit overboard with keeping them in...but maybe because we are still kinda in flu season. It's over technically in May I believe. I think it will be healthy for MOM to get out and show baby off once in a while...now that doesn't mean you hang out at the mall/grocery store EVERY day...but Church once or twice a week (depending on the church) should be fine.
When I say right away...our first real outing to the store was probably after 6-8 weeks...not sure...but premies always look a little smaller to people.
Post a Comment