Saturday, March 08, 2008

Um, Do You Mind?

About two weeks ago, we had a nice rainy day. It was one of those days that you hear the couch beckoning you for a nap. So I cuddled up on the couch with Gregory and a throw blanket and shut my eyes and listened to the pitter-patter of the rain. Then, the relaxation was broken by another pitter-patter... one from inside the house.

My eyes popped open and I started looking all over the living room and I couldn't see anything, but my ears were definitely telling me that there was a drip. I kept looking and low and behold, there it was, a dark spot on the ceiling in the formal living room. I tucked Gregory in so he was safe and rushed over. Sure enough, it was dripping onto my old red couch (some of you might remember it). I quickly moved it, grabbed some trash cans to catch the water, called our land-lady and then called Wes. Well, fast-forward two weeks and the leak itself has been repaired but not the ceiling. That was supposed to happen this morning. Unfortunately, we were told that'll have to wait a little longer, but while they were here, I did get some entertainment.

See, the repairman brought his daughter over, Mona. She's a gregarious, curious, and NOSEY 3rd grader. They were here for just a few minutes when she comes over to me...

Mona: "Do you have a baby?"
Me: "Yes, how'd you know?" (Gregory was napping in his crib)
Mona: "I saw that stuff that makes rice smushy in your kitchen."
Me: "What are you talking about?" "Show me."
Mona: "This" (pointing to the rice cereal on the counter)

She then goes on to ask about the baby monitor, Gregory, and various things she sees around our house. I offer to turn on the tv for her, but she declined. So after I showed Gregory to her (I explained she could look at him, but not touch him), I excused myself to go feed him.

Mona: "What does he eat?"
Me: "Uh... breast milk" (I did wonder briefly what to say, but decided to be honest)
Mona: "Oh..." (with look of absolute horror and shock)
Me: "That's why I'm going back here to feed him." *smile*

My mom was over so I wouldn't have to leave them alone in the house. She said that Mona went through our photo albums while I was in the nursery. It's a good thing she's only a 3rd grader and I have nothing to hide or I would've said something either to her or her dad. Anyway, it was good entertainment. Probably the most I've had around here in a while.

3 comments:

Coffman Family said...

Ha! Kids are so aware and blunt aren't they!

Morgan said...

geez, take it easy nosey!! i might not have been as nice as you were!! :)

Beth said...

Thats really funny, my son was really bad when he was younger when we went visiting, each time we'd tell "Don't go into people's drawers and don't keep asking question!" but he'd sneak off somehow when we were all mid conversation and you'd find him being nosey...it was so embarrassing!