Thursday, December 14, 2006

Haute Cakes

Okay, okay... so I used the word, "haute" very loosely, but one can dream, right? I decided to share a few of the cakes I've made in the past few months. Thanks for asking me about them, RachelRenae. I took Wilton cake decorating courses I-III and had lots of fun playing with icing.
I don't so much love the way the cake turned out here, as I do the flowers and the bird.
You can't tell, but this cake took a couple of days to make. The flowers
all had to be made in advance and dry for a few days.

I loved making this cake, especially since my mom helped me do it.
She had so much fun making the grass and I got to teach her how
to use some other tips as well. Plus, I just think it's cute.

I made this cake for Wes when he came home for R&R.





I made this cake for an FRG meeting. I couldn't think of anything
special to make, so I just went with "summer"... since it was summer. Ha ha!



This is the cake I made for Wes when he came home from Iraq.
This cake gave me so much grief and ended up looking like some
pre-made cake you find at the Wal-Mart bakery. See below...




These are my "fire works" that didn't work for the cake above.










3 comments:

RachelRenae said...

Haute -adjective;
1. high-class, fancy
2. fashionably elegant

Melissa- these cakes are wonderful!! I love them! My favorite is the white one with the flowers and bird. I kept noticing little details- like the fence on your dad's cake- amazing! I also love the starts that didn't work out- a very cool idea. You should do this for a living!

Melissa said...

Rachel,

You are too kind. :) I have thought about it, but doubt always sets in. Then when I see cakes people do actually pay for, I think, "I could totally do this!" Whether it's cakes or something else, opening my own business one day is actually a dream of mine. :)

RachelRenae said...

I think it's wonderful. I hope you acheive that dream! I'm sure you would be very successful- I would hire you!

I've always wanted to open a floral shop, even though I have a particular talent for killing flowers (I've managed to kill 3 seperate poinsettias on my desk in two weeks).