When Gregory first got home, he was bottled fed and we quickly discovered that he had reflux. It showed it's ugly self through him coughing and standing straight up with his arms flailing in the air and him screaming. Feeding time was not relaxing and it was enough to bring me to tears on many occasions. Then when he started breast feeding, nursing was very calming to him, but again the reflux literally surfaced in a very different way... vomit. He started vomiting what looked like the entire contents of his stomach. And when he did it two feedings in a row, I absolutely panicked and took him to the dr. first thing the next morning. After all, he'd only been 7lbs. two weeks before, he didn't need to lose any weight. We debated whether to put him on meds or not and ultimately decided not to.
I bought extra burp rags, kept a towel beside me in bed (we used to co-sleep), Wes and I took turns keeping him upright for 30 minutes after each feeding, and when we visited family I always packed at least 3 extra outfits for him, an extra set of clothes for me and towels to give him a bath. Every cough made me hold my breath and I'd run to him with a burp rag in an attempt to catch the vomit. My worst fear was him vomiting while laying down, me not being there to hear it and him chocking on it. I hated it. I hated that he couldn't just enjoy his food, that it caused our little boy so much pain, and that we couldn't just play with him immediately afterwards, but spent so much time trying to keep those much needed calories down.
He's growing up so quickly and it seems like almost overnight the reflux may just be gone for good. The last time he vomited was last Monday morning, the longest he's ever gone without it happening. Now when he coughs, I feel a little more relaxed and feel more confident with each passing day that it's gone for good!

6 comments:
oh yeah!
its amazing how they just get a little bigger and the switch flips. Kinsey was the exact same way. Its so great to not have to stay awake and keep them upright in the middle of the night. glad he's doing better!
Will pray the reflux is gone! It does get better and a little easier each day and your diligent nursing seemed to help!
I know that fear too...Sydney didn't have pain with hers too much...but she spit up alot after feedings...we had to keep her upright 30minutes too. One time I had laid her down on her back and came back to see...she was choking on her spit up...so scary! Then it finally did get better...so I hope this is your moment!!! :)
yay for gregory!! i hope it really is gone for good. and sorry you couldn't make it to the party!! i hope to see you soon.
i can't wait to meet him!!! so glad he is feeling better...
Post a Comment