Friday, August 01, 2008

Well, Here We Go...

We did CIO with Gregory a few months ago to get him to sleep in his crib for the whole night, because at that point, he'd wake-up around 10:30 and then come sleep with me for the rest of the night. So, the CIO then was to get him used to sleeping without mommy, but we decided that I'd still nurse him once in the middle of the night. Well, here we are... he's 8 months old now and still waking up to nurse around 2:00am and sometimes he wakes up twice! Wes and I talked about waiting for his next long weekend to get the job done, but I think that's not until September.

Well, last night he woke up at 11:00pm- no sir, that's just too early! I absolutely refused to nurse him at 11:00. I thought I'd wait an hour and if he was still awake and crying, I'd nurse him then. I did go check on him after about 15 minutes, but after I patted him and gave him some reassuring words, I left and went back to bed. That didn't go over so well, but it never really does. He screamed even harder and the next 15-20 minutes went by so slowly... but he fell asleep. The next thing I know, I look at the clock and it's 4:40 am... he's still asleep :). I went back to sleep and woke up at 6:00am and realized he never woke back up to nurse- YAY!!! I did panic for a moment and reached for the monitor and found him cooing and playing with his feet and hands- so sweet. I'm not sure if he fell back to sleep or just played and talked to himself, but he was content until it was time for him to be up for the day.

So, technically he didn't sleep through the night, but hey, we're a step closer. I talked to Wes about doing CIO tonight with him since he's already done one night of it- may as well go with it, right???

9 comments:

Karen said...

You should go ahead and let him cry it out tonight since he already got a taste of it last night! =) I heard it takes about 3 nights. So you only have two more to go!

I can't wait until Evelyn sleeps through the night too. She is still getting up 1 to 3 times a night to nurse! I will have to get some tips from you in a few months!

RachelRenae said...

I'm about to display my profound ignorance in the realm of child rearing. I had to google CIO and still didn't find anything even remotely baby related... so I have to ask... CIO?

Melissa said...

RR~ LOL, I totally understand, this baby thing is a different world all to it's own. CIO= Cry It Out. Some parents choose to use this method to get their babies to sleep through the night if they don't do so on their own by a certain age (whatever age the parents think is appropriate or when they decide they are ready/ had enough of middle of the night feedings). There are different ways to go about it. We chose to go in at predetermined increments of time, pat him, say, "I love you, it's night time," and walk out. Anyway, there are many ways to implement it and some people feel it's cruel to do to a baby, but we feel that some crying is not harmful especially after a certain age. I wouldn't recommend even trying it before they are 4 months old, but that's my opinion. You may also hear it referred to as the Ferber Method.

Coffman Family said...

That's awesome! Yeah for more restful sleep!

Jen said...

thats difficult. Here I am with an 11 month old who still doesn't sleep through. She goes to bed at 8 and is up at 3-4. Which is not too bad of a stretch, but still. I've tried CIO, but its just way easier to go nurse and everyone go back to sleep then it is to listen to her cry....especially now that she's crying "Mooooooooommmmmmyyyyy!!!" Then shes up again at 6 or 7 and crazy hungry again. Maybe its cause I'm lazy, maybe its cause she's my last one to nurse and I'm not in a hurry to drop feedings...I dunno.

so good for you and keep up the good work.

EMWilkinson said...

I hope this is a good turning point for gregory. We were pretty lucky with David...but then when we put him in his toddler bed at just over 2 years...he started waking up and crying at his gated door. Not cool. So I did like the nanny people did...put him in bed and just sat quietly on the floor for a few minutes till he stopped crying then...asleep or not left...so far so good. He wakes up earlier than we like...but he's able to get out of his bed and go play on his own...so he's happy. :) haha!

EMWilkinson said...

by nanny people...of course...I mean that show supernanny or nanny 911 when parents were in dire need of help. I tried to pay attention when I watched that show!! haha!

RachelRenae said...

Melissa- thanks for explaining. I've heard of that method before but not by the names you called it. It makes sense to me!

Michelle said...

How's it going with the CIO? I am so grateful to Shelly for doing it for me and not telling me til after the fact. My life has changed tremendously. Aidan goes to sleep alone at night and James gets up once or twice with him before he goes to work and then puts him in bed with me before he leaves. We still have little temper tantrums at times where he refuses to nap or is slow to fall asleep at night, but for the most part, it's been bliss. Hope you guys got it done and don't have to look back.