Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Unexpected Blessings

Today has been a really good day. Since Wes just officially became a resident of Texas this year, we had been expecting his state income tax refund from PA for four months now and it arrived this morning! WOO-HOO!!! He was also able to go with us for Gregory's anemia follow-up this morning. Though we're still waiting on the lab results, his pedi said he's looking really good and thinks he'll be fine. YAY!!!

So then, we headed out to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch and our $1.50 slices. Thanks for the tip, Karen ! It was so packed inside and we had to eat in a hurry so that Wes could get to work, but it was nice to be able to spend some time together and we were totally and unexpectedly blessed. Since Wes had to go to work afterward, he was in uniform and the waitress came by and said someone paid for our dessert. Then when we went to pay for our lunch, she said someone else had covered that! Also, while we were waiting for our table, two different people approached him and thanked him... one even thanked me... that has never happened! I got really choked-up. I'm not used to that.

I'm rarely in public with Wes when he's in uniform now that we live in Houston, so I don't see it when people walk up to him and thank him for his service. When we lived at Fort Hood and Fort Jackson, I was with him pretty regularly while he was in uniform, but seeing a soldier wasn't out of the ordinary there- especially at Fort Hood. If you weren't a soldier, you were married to one, or you were a vet. So, when that happened today, I really had to fight back my tears. Anyway... lunch was delicious and so was dessert. I'm glad we were able to do it. :)


1 comment:

RachelRenae said...

WOW! This makes me have a little more faith in my fellow American. It seems to me that the great majority of people are in full support of our soldiers and appreciate their sacrifice, regardless of their personal opinion on our presence in the middle East.

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.