I do have to start with the conversation I had with my husband last night. He was discribing the town he's in and the area around his hotel. See if any of you think this sounds a bit familiar... his hotel is within walking distance of a mall, movie theatre, PF Chang's, Cheesecake Factory, and TGI Fridays... Hmmm... does anyone think this sounds a little like Sugar Land??? Weird.
Anyway, we woke up on time today... right on time too, YAY!!! So, that gave us enough time to get a good walk in at the park before it got too hot. Gregory fell asleep as usual, nothing eventful happened, it was all good.
This afternoon we went to visit my sister-in-law, Katie, and Gregory's cousin, Elena. It was good to see them, catch-up, and look at their pictures of their trip to the Bahamas and I also got to see pictures of Elena at her swim class! She is so impressive! I mean, how many one year olds do you know that can swim??? She was also walking up a storm, it was so great! What a talented niece I have! :D
Then we came home... and this is where I got unraveled. I had my dinner and then realized I hadn't checked the mail. I thought I could A. take Gregory with me to check the mail and then get him ready for bed or B. get him ready for bed and then go check the mail. I decided to take him with me since it wouldn't take long and he likes going outside. Wrong choice.
I walked outside and heard a buzzing and thought I saw some bees, but they may have been wasps. It caught me so off guard that I wasn't thinking right and closed the door so they couldn't get inside, but we were outside with them. I was planning to go back inside through our back door (which we almost always use anyway), but it dawned on me that the back door was locked. So, I look at the door to make sure there weren't any bees/wasps on it that would follow us in and then I walked in. The whole time this was happening, Gregory was completely quiet, so I assumed he was okay... I was okay. When we got in, I saw him rubbing his nose with the back of his hand, but he wasn't crying, so I thought maybe his nose got brushed by one of the bees/wasps and it tickled him. Then he started crying louder and louder. I know this cry, it's his "I'm very upset" cry. I felt this surge of panic and laid him down on the living room floor and saw this tiny drop of blood on the tip of his nose. I scooped him up and ran him to his room to get a better look. While I was checking him out, I noticed he had a big red spot on his temple... another sting... then I noticed another red spot on his arm... two more stings... then I found another on his hair line... yet another... FIVE stings! I held him tight, rocked him, cried with him, and for a few minutes I couldn't think. All my thoughts were jumbled up and I couldn't figure out what to do next.
I finally called the after-hours operator for our pedi and was put on HOLD! Can I tell you, I wanted to cuss... I wanted to throw my cell phone at the wall. I waited for a few minutes and then hung up and called back... I was put on hold again!!! I was not happy. The good thing was that by the time I was making the second phone call, Gregory had stopped crying and he was already kicking and making his silly baby noises. I'm tellin' ya, this baby of mine is amazing. He is to me anyway.
Thirty-five minutes after he got stung, the on-call pedi finally called back and she told me that if he hadn't had an allergic reaction, he probably wouldn't and that I should give him some Benadryl for the swelling. We didn't have any, so off to Walgreens I went. I didn't realize though, that it doesn't come with a dropper. I didn't even think about it because all of the medications he has taken so far have come with a dropper. So I had to use the little cup and measure as conservatively as possible. We actually missed his mouth initially, so he really got a conservative measurement. Here's a dumb question... do they sell droppers with 1/2 tsp. measurements?
Gregory is asleep now. I've checked on him a few times already. He's okay, but it still makes me nervous. This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I wasn't alone.

3 comments:
Girl! Walgreen's give out syringes with prescriptions...but they would give you one if you asked...I'm sure of it! Also..they do sell them too. I'm so happy that he didn't have a bad reaction!! That is SCARY! We have crazy bees and wasps around our flowers here...it scares me!!
OMG...I was freaking out reading your story. I hate wasps! I would have been crying too. I am so glad he is ok!
Erin- you have no idea how many times I've thought to myself, "I should just e-mail Erin and see what she thinks I should do!" LOL
Post a Comment