I'm the kinda girl that avoids the doctor at all costs. I will deal with the pain, research and take herbs, exercise... you name it- almost anything before calling up a doctor. So this season (the past 7.5 months) is taking it's toll on me. Along with follow-ups for my cesarean and staph infection, we also had Wes' ER visits, surgery, and follow-up visits... but most of our trips to doctors offices and hospitals have been with our little man. Now, please know that I don't fault or resent Gregory for any of this. I love him with all of my heart and will do anything to make sure he gets the care he needs- I'm his biggest advocate. I'm just tired and I know he must be as well, especially of all the needles, iron, and probing...
In addition to his month in the NICU and the three days at Texas Children's, our little man has been to see a doctor 13 times that I can count and there were a few times I called the on-call nurse and she said to come in the next day. He has seen neonatologists, pediatricians, hemotologists-oncologists, a urologist, an opthamologist, and cardiologists. He has a third anemia follow-up in two weeks too. Now, he has been doing well with the anemia. His iron levels are now normal, but there is more testing that one of the hemotologists and his pediatrician feel need to be done.
I just realized I never blogged about his follow-up echo... his murmur is gone!!! His pedi thinks the murmur he had coming out of the NICU was probably benign and that at 6 months it was really loud, probably because of the anemia- because it's completely cleared up! Praise God!
Gregory is so resilient. He may cry when they draw blood, but once they are done, he is back to smiling and kicking. I am so grateful for the good reports we continue to get and that he continues to flourish. One thing I've gotten from all of this, is a glimpse of what some families go through. The reality that some families live this for years and some children basically live in hospitals. It breaks my heart and reminds me to pray for them.
Thanks for listening... I needed that. :)

5 comments:
I am totally with you about avoiding doctors! I just prefer to let any sickness "take its course".
I am so glad that Gregory is doing good and his murmur went away. We just took Evelyn into TCH on Monday for an EKG and chest x-ray for a heart murmur. Still waiting for results.
Oh wow Melissa! I had no idea Gregory had to endure so much. Praise God for family close by to lift your spirits and offer help. Joining you in praising God for bringing you all through.
Wow! He's already had a pretty eventful life...just not in a fun sort of way! :) Glad to hear good news on the murmer...that is really awesome! I hope the MD visits slow to a halt as soon as possible!
One more thing to be thankful for: health insurance!!
Rachel- You aren't kidding!!! I mean, we had to drive almost an hour to get to a pediatric cardiologist on our insurance, but then again, we don't pay anything... zero, zip, nada- NICE!!!
Post a Comment