Friday, August 18, 2006

I Got My Birthday Wish... And More

My birthday was last week and it was a good day, even better than I'd anticipated. A lot of stuff happened the night before and the day of. I'd love to share all of that with you, but you'd probably be bored to tears... so I'll spare you.

The major thing that happened (for me), was that I got a phone call from my hubby. That was my birthday wish. I hadn't heard his voice in so long, it was a refreshing treat- it made my day. I love you hubby!

The other thing that happened (to me), was pretty embarrassing... probably more like mortifying... at least for me. The day of my birthday, was also the day that my uncle and aunt renewed their vows. Apparently, during the planning stages of all this, my mom had asked my uncle if everyone could sing "happy birthday" to me and once she asked- she forgot about it... but my uncle didn't...

So fast-forward to the big day... I'm standing there, enjoying a conversation with Cousin A when Cousin B walks up, grabs my hand and says, "Melissa, come over here with me." I'm thinking she wants me to help clean or serve something-or-other... Well, she didn't... and this is what happened...

Me: "Where are we going?"
Cousin B: "Just over here."
Me: "What are we doing?"
Cousin B: "Oh nothing, we're just coming over here real quick."

She then leads me to front and center of the reception, where there's a lone chair... right in front of about 150 people. As I see this chair, I hear the DJ saying something about it being "someone's special birthday," then I hear my name... etc, etc... I can't remember because my blood had drained to my feet at that point. Everyone started singing and clapping to this song (Las Mananitas) and it seemed to go on forever. I immediately started crying from embarrassment and from being touched that my uncle remembered- but most of all, I was taken aback.

I mean, I have come a long way... I used to be painfully shy and now I'm much more outgoing. But this, this was more than I could handle. Thankfully, they made my parents stand with me. At one point, my dad said he was going to sit down and I grabbed his hand and said, "daddy, please don't leave!" My aunt later told me that she read my lips... she was 3 tables back. When I went to sit down, my sister-n-law smiled, held up her camera and said, "and I have it all on tape!" So for the rest of the evening, I had people coming up to me and wishing me a happy birthday- that I liked, that I can handle.

Happy Belated Birthday To Me

No comments: