After church on Sunday, Wes went to talk to our pastor. So I just waited in the pew and read my Bible and would occasionally look up and scan the room. It's a big church and there were still lots of people in the sanctuary, which is why I was amazed that this little Taiwanese lady walked up the aisle and over to me.
She was confused about service times and thought there was a service after the one that had just finished. So I showed her the different service times and made sure she'd changed the time one her watch. I'm guessing maybe her husband had changed the time, because it was right and she said she didn't do it.
It was the most random conversation I've had in a while, but I enjoyed it. It was one of those conversations where the person doesn't know you, but tells you about the past 40 years of their life. This lady made me laugh and wasn't shy to give me advice about babies, marriage, and a career. I just smiled and took it all in.
Here are two quotes from our conversation:
1. "You have lucky face!" Now, I can't remember for the life of me why she said this and I don't believe in luck, but I'll take it as a compliment anyway.
2. "You same chubby like my daughter!" After she unashamedly looked me up and down. I couldn't help but bust out laughing. She didn't apologize, she just said, "Yeah!" I mean, how many people can get away with saying something like that and not be offensive?
When Wes came back, we shook hands, properly introduced ourselves, and parted ways. I hope I see her again. Wes said, "she probably thought you were Asian and that's why she came up to you." And you know what, she probably did, most people do... and I didn't say anything to lead her to believe otherwise.

3 comments:
I love that, oldies are so easy going and real! When Nidge's gran first met me she looked at me disappointingly and said 'you don't look very irish (she was irish!) but with those hips you'll birth children easily!"
That's priceless! I can totally hear any grandmother saying that. :)
"You same chubby like my daughter!" I almost died when I read this. Hilarious!
Post a Comment