Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Define "Home"

When Wes got home yesterday, he told me what was announced during their briefing. It seems that with the way the war is going, there's a possibility that we'll only be at our next duty station for 18 months as opposed to two years. Although that isn't certain, we've decided it's too much of a risk to invest so much and then not be able to recoup that money when it's time to move on. So we're not buying a house. It made me sad and frustrated, but surprisingly... very surprisingly, I'm feeling more okay about it. God knows when and where we should buy a house and we can make it happen, but things don't work out for the best when you force your own will.

Right before I started this entry, I had to call my relative that was going to be helping us buy a house. He just got into real estate and was excited for us. My heart hurt more calling him than receiving the news did. He just said, "no apologies, mija." He encouraged me and then prayed for Wes and me. It's nice when people tell you they are praying for you, but when they just stop and pray with you... that really blesses me.

So the search for a home continues, the definition of a "home" just changes a little bit.

The picture below has nothing to do with the house, but it's something else that Wes delivered to me when he arrived home yesterday. It's a cook book from KitchenAid! I got the free offer when I bought my mixer. I sent off for it before we left Texas and with the move, I'd completely forgotten about it. When he handed me the envelope and I saw "KitchenAid," I instantly knew what it was and ripped right into it. I love cook books! I'll take my little joys however I can find them.


5 comments:

RachelRenae said...

I'm glad God has given you peace about not buying a house yet. It's definitely wisdom not to in your situation, but it hurts when your hopes are unexpectedly delayed. Look at it this way: now, you have more time to save, more time to plan the interior decorations,a nd more time to dream! Just dream BIG!

I've been praying for a new car for ages (the one I've been driving is a beast), but every car we look at turns out to have some problem, or be too expensive, or whatever. But we finally bought me a new(ish) car that's perfect for me, and I'm glad we didn't jump the gun on any of the cars we were looking at before. God made me wait till' now so He could bless me with the best.

Waiting sucks, but you'll look back and be so glad you did!

Beth said...

Hi, boy do I have loads to learn about waiting. House prices here (in the UK) have gone crazy so buying a house would be madness; I know this in my head but in my heart I'm screaming Lord I want a house we own.....I always had a dream that I'd have a home that would mark my kids height on a door post as they grew and be there when I had grand kids! We've always rented so I've marked their height on a oak beam that's ours and will be built into where-ever we end up!

Home is when we're together....a house will come after! I feel like I'm learning so much from you and Rachel about faith and knowing God's got it covered! It'll be a big party in blog land when the houses come! Deut ch6 I will have HOUSES I did not build, with wells I did not dig and vines I did not plant!

Melissa said...

Beth, Amen! I like that verse! You were the first person that came to mind when Wes told me the news. I completely feel your frustration. I started an investment solely for a house when I started teaching. I'm waiting to cash that baby in and put it towards it's purpose! I can't wait to hang some chimes, plant a garden, and paint my walls whatever color I want.

Rachel, Thank you for your encouragement. I'm so glad you got your new car- that's awesome! Have you ever read "Captivating"? I think it does a great job of explaining His love for His little girls and how He does want to shower us with blessings.

RachelRenae said...

That's by John Eldridge, right? Honestly, I've read some of the book he wrote for men (Wild at Heart) and I read "Sacred Romance" and thought it was fantastic. In fact, I'm going to bump up "Captivating" to the top of my must-read list.

Melissa said...

Yes, he wrote it with his wife, Staci. I think that's how it's spelled, I've since passed the book on. I loved Wild At Heart too, I read it in two days (which I never do) and quickly put a copy in the mail for Wes while he was in Iraq.