Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I Was So Out Of My League

One thing I have not yet done, but have been looking forward to doing, is attend a military ball. Well, the time quickly approaching for my first one and although I'm excited, I'm also a little anxious because I need to do some serious shopping. I've heard that ladies attend in everything from Sunday dress clothes to formal gowns. Since I've been wanting to go to a ball (and have always wanted to go to any ball), I'd like to have a dress more on the formal side than not.

So today I decided to head out and begin my search. My first stop was a Stein Mart. Not a fancy place, but the one back home actually has formal dresses and at reasonable prices, but this one does not. My second stop was to a store that I drive by pretty frequently. I'd never been able to tell what kind of clothes they carry, but it looked like the kind of place that would have nicer things, so I took a chance.

Upon entering this place, I started noticing things that made me think I was out of my league. As my shopping experience progressed, I realized I definitely was. Now for any of you whose families earn $100,000 plus, you may not be able to identify with this, but for those of you who don't pull in that kind of money, you may be able to relate.

Here are some things that aren't the norm at the stores I usually shop at:

The first sign was noticing that there were purses that had their own shelves. Not like most department stores with 5-7 purses per shelf.

I went to a random sale rack and picked up a cotton blouse that looked like something from the Gap. It was on SALE for $120!

A sales lady offered me assistance and guided me to some really gorgeous gowns. After I wiped up my drool, I started glancing at price tags... $2500, $4500, $3000,... No kidding!!!

After noticing the prices, I got completely embarrassed and said, "I have to be honest with you, I think all of these dresses are going to be out of my budget." She was very kind and responded, "Oh... well, we have dresses in a wide range of prices... what's your budget?" I told her the most I wanted to spend was $500 (that budget includeds undergarments, shoes, and purse).

She was able to find one dress that she said was in my price range and then went to the sale rack to find formal pants and blouses.

I stayed behind to have a second look at the dresses to see if we missed something. As I was looking at these dresses, I found one for $895 and I remember thinking, "Wow, that's a great price!" And then quickly realized my thought and put it back. That's pretty sad when something that costs almost $900 looks like a bargain because of what everything else is priced around it.

Once I tried on the dress (which I fell completely in love with), we went to look at shoes (I was too embarrassed to say no). We get to the shoe department and the only brands I saw were Jimmy Choo and Stuart Weitzman. Panic began to set in and beads of sweat started to form. I kept thinking, "get out of here, Melissa... get out!!!"

I did try on some shoes and then mustered up the nerve to tell them that I thought I was going to go "cheaper" on my shoes. Again, the sales lady was very sweet and said, "Oh, like Payless?!?" "That's fine, nobody will notice your shoes." Then the shoe lady insisted I look at the shoes that were on sale... So I walk over and the cheapest shoe they had was $65- that was after they'd been marked down 75%!!! Now, I don't think $65 a lot for a good pair of shoes, but not when I have to plunk down so much money for a dress. I was finally able to politely back my way out of that.

I got to the dressing room to get out of the dress and see the price tag for the first time... it was not in my budget like the sales lady said... it was $695! I almost cried. I had already fallen in love with it, but seeing the price tag gave me a knot in my stomach... I knew I couldn't swing that.

After I put it back on the hanger, I handed it back to the sales lady with my head hung... and she knew. I said, "I have never paid this much for a dress in my life." She offered to put it on hold for me til tomorrow and after struggling over the purchase all afternoon, I finally called her back and told her I wasn't going to take it.

Wes is in the field all week, which means I won't see or talk to him until Friday evening. I really wish he were home to help me sort this out. I think if I really wanted this dress, he'd find a way for me to have it, but I don't want to get a dress like that. I would feel dirty in it. But I do want him to help me pick something out that he thinks is beautiful and within our budget.

3 comments:

RachelRenae said...

What a heartbreaker! I'm so sorry. I'm sure you'll find something just as lovely for a better price. Maybe you should go to a more commercial area or drive to a bigger city nearby to look at the malls and such.

But you know, some things are worth the extra money. It sounds like you're usually very wise with your money. A rare splurge ain't a bad thing!

Beth said...

Aww I hate that when you find something really perfect and it's just too much.....but if it's worth it then? I have always wanted to go to a formal dress wearing occasion but to be honest I'm a bit of a shorty so by the time the dress is taken up so I don't trip over it it just doesn't hang right! (The problems me not the dresses!)

Here they have shops where if you buy something new and then decide you don't want it...then the shop will buy it off you (for nothing really) and sell it for loads less....I've managed to find some really beautiful "new" clothes there, which I would never have afforded in the original store. Do you guys have anything like that around you?

Melissa said...

Hey ladies!

I'm recovering from the loss. lol Beth, I know what kind of stores you're talking about. We call them consignment shops. I hadn't thought about that, that's a really good idea. My only problem is that I don't know how to get around this place, so I'm waiting for Wes to get home to go with me. Hopefully he'll be up for some shopping this weekend. :)

I'll let y'all know if I'm able to find anything.