Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Little Boy

Wes and I went to lunch today and on our way out of the restaurant, there was a little boy, probably about four years old, blocking the entrance. The entrance has double-doors and he was holding one door open and was standing slightly in front of the other door, so I had to say "excuse me" to get by him. This was a good thing... and I believe God created that moment just so. I say that because I'm not always the most observant person and if I didn't have to stop for a few seconds, I probably wouldn't have realized that he was alone.

I walked past him and I heard myself say, "I can't leave, I don't know who he belongs to." I stopped and scanned the parking lot and the entrance of the restaurant trying to find people he could possibly belong to... no one. So I thought I should ask him where he was supposed to be.

Me: Are you going outside?

Little boy: mumble

Me: Do you need to go inside?

Little boy: mumble

Me: Where are your parents?

Little boy: Parents (parroting me)

Me: Where is your mom or dad?

Little boy: mom... dad...

At this point, I take a deep breath and look around again. As a family is entering, the father asked, "is he lost?" As I'm telling him I have no clue, I see someone I thought could be his father. But it wasn't. So I walk inside to the cashier and enlist her help. Then the man who'd come with his family begins looking in the dining area and escorts the little boy in there, I followed.

Sitting at a table was his mom... alone... ALONE!!! She didn't seem concerned that her son was out of her line of view and could've left, been taken, gotten hurt.... Instead, she grabs the little boy by his shirt front and ignores me and the man who tried to find her. I asked, "is this your son?" and she completely ignored me. In seconds I went from concerned citizen to outraged.

I understand there are no perfect parents and it's impossible to watch every move your child makes, but when you're alone in a restaurant and don't notice... or care. Then when your child is brought to you and you seem more bothered than concerned... and not thankful that people are actually looking out for the child you are neglecting!!! AGH!

I walked out of the restaurant and met up with Wes in the parking lot and he knew immediately I wasn't okay. He started to talk to me and I said, "I need a minute to think." I drove us home fuming, stewing, and thinking about what could've happened to that little boy and people who neglect their little ones and don't realize their worth. It hurt my heart and I pray to God that He would watch over all of those children and that when I do become a parent, I never forget those lessons.

1 comment:

RachelRenae said...

Unbelievable. I wonder how long it would have taken this woman to notice if someone took him, or if he wandered off? But you did the right thing.