For the most part, yesterday was a good day... a great day. It was the first Valentine's Day that Wes and I spent together as a married couple and I wanted to make it really nice. I'd bought and made him some gifts and I needed to go to the grocery store to buy some last minute things to make dinner.
My first stop was Wal-Mart. I got all my stuff and went to the register and it took forever, of course because everyone waited til the last minute to get their V-day stuff. When I finally got to the front, I heard a lady right behind me say, "ma'am!" So I turned around to see what she wanted. She then gets in my space, shoves her stuff in front of me and says, "do you mind if I go first since I just have these two things?" Now, keep in mind, I'm in the 10 items or less line and I have less than 10 items and there's a long line of people who are also in this line. I stood my ground and said, "actually, I'm in a hurry too." Which I was because I had cream and buttermilk with me and I still had another stop to make. But it was like I hadn't said anything. She continued to hand her stuff to the cashier... my jaw dropped and I became angry. How dare she... how rude!
She just kept going on... "I just have these two things"... "my car is parked on the curb"... "I hope I don't get a ticket." The cashier just looked at me with a raised eyebrow, as if to say, "what's your answer?... and hurry up." Well, I'd already given my answer but it certainly didn't seem to matter. So I finally said, with a very tight lip, "Fine! Go!" What I wanted to do was get in her space and say, "well, maybe you shouldn't have parked on the curb! ...maybe, you should've gone through a drive-thru for lunch instead (she was holding chicken from the deli)!!!" AGH!!!
Then to make it worse, I got to the counter and my Pyrex bowl didn't have a price sticker... surprise, surprise. The cashier just glared at me as if the incident with the lady was all my fault and then brought it to my attention. I said, "I think it was either $5 or $7... just charge me $7." She said, "I can't do that." And again she gave me that same snotty look from before as if to say, "if you want it, you're going to have to hunt down another one with a sticker." Instead of calling for a price check or calling for an employee to do it. I told her never mind... put it back. AGH!!! AGH!!! The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. I wanted to slap both of these ladies. Why are some people just so rude???
Thank you for letting me vent.

3 comments:
I'm hopeless in that situation I can never think of anything to say...it'll be three hours later and I'll think "why didn't I......." Hope you and Wes had a great meal though!
Honestly, sometimes it's better not to have a snappy response in those kinds of situations. I always have some nasty smart-ass thing to say and then feel guilty three hours later!
Wes and I role played how I could've done things differently. But in the end, she was definitely bigger than me and obviously not intimidated by my presence. ha ha!
And honestly, if she had just asked nicely and not gotten in my space, I probably wouldn't have minded one bit.
Post a Comment