Since I moved here, people usually ask me, "so, have you found anything to do?" The answer is, not really. I mean, I don't have a job and I'm not taking classes. Not that I hadn't tried to find anything to do, I did, but nothing has come up. So I decided, I can either stress over this and continue to wonder what everyone will think of me or give into it and be okay about it.
So I'm giving into it, although it's hard... really hard. Daily I think about ways I could be making money or improving myself by getting a master's degree or whatever. The truth is I think it would be fun to do any of those things, but if I'm silent and don't listen to anyone else's voice, I realize I'm happy not being busy just for the sake of being busy.
However, I did decide that I need to get serious about one thing... learning Spanish. Although I'm a Latina, grew up in a Spanish-speaking church, my parents' first language was Spanish, and I've taken a few classes... I'm still not fluent. This is both frustrating and embarrassing. So I've decided I needed to block off a time each day to devote to this. Yesterday was my first day and so far, so good. Maybe one day I'll actually be fluent in three languages and then I'm sure I'll wonder how I can make money with that talent as well.
Hasta luego!

3 comments:
I can say a few things in Spanish. Aside from my name and favorite color, they are as follows (and probably grossly incorrect):
Si, no tenemos platanos hoy. (Yes, we have no bananas today.)
Los deportes del agua en Puerto Rico son muy fabulosos. (The water sports in Puerto Rico are very fabulous.)
Ella corir estupido. (She ran-runs?- stupidly.)
No. (No.)
You said 3 languages. English, Spanish, and what?
Our family are trying to learn Spanish at the minute and I have to be honest I am the worst at it and have bailed out of quite a few lessons! (the kids are great at it) What's the third language??? Nidge wants us all to go to Spain sometime in Autumn as a friend has a villa there we can rent so I'm going to have to get into it!
RR~ You're so funny, I love your phrases.
Beth~ If you go to Spain, enjoy it for me and please post some pics! I've wanted to go for a long time. Enjoy some Manchego cheese and Paella for me too. :)
As for the third language, I guess one wouldn't say "speaks" fluently (?) so much as a third mode of communication... but it's still a language. American Sign Language (ASL).
Post a Comment