Late last week, Wes found out where our next duty station will be... HOUSTON!!! Just in case you haven't noticed, I'm a native Texan and grew up in the Houston area. I cannot express to you just how happy I am. I kept praying that God would send us back to Fort Hood, but never ever thought about an Army job in Houston. As my mom puts it, "God is SO good!"
The choices we submitted were 1. Houston 2. North Carolina 3. England... and Wes also put a blurb in his requests that if something at Fort Hood came available, we wanted to be considered for that as well. People started finding out their assignments a whole week before us... so not fair. Everyday Wes would come home and tell me more people found out and which positions had been assigned. Since there's another soldier from Texas (and his wife is too), I kept asking if they requested Houston (the only assignment available in TX) and if they'd heard anything.
We found out last Thursday and not through the normal means either. Another soldier approached Wes and asked him if he'd like to switch duty assignments, which confused my husband. The soldier had e-mailed the lady in charge of assigning these things, asking if it was too late to request Houston. The lady responded to him saying that she'd already slated the job to Wes and that if he was willing to switch, she'd have no issues. The soldier even printed the transactions off for Wes to see. How come we hadn't heard anything??? Anyway, Wes told him, "if my wife knew we had a chance to go to Texas and I didn't take it, she'd kill me." Ha!
I have been wanting to buy a house for years, but for various reasons it's never seemed like the right time. However, now my friends, would be the time! I have been looking at houses all over the Houston area, doing research on "MUD Tax," reading about real estate lingo, etc. My day dreams are about houses and decorating. Whenever Wes doesn't see me for a few minutes in the apartment, he'll ask, "are you looking at houses again?" ... yes. Yes, I have a problem.
If you wish to contribute to this obsession, please feel free to offer any advice on buying a house, thank you. :)

3 comments:
Congratulations!!!
Save up and put as much money as you can on a down payment. (As I have never bought a house, that's the only advice I have for you)
I love decorating and adore picking out colors and coordinating everything. So exciting!!
I encourage your obsession and say you should go to paint shops, art stores, home depots, etc, and start planning out color schemes!
Hay that's great, congratulations! I agree with Rachel put as much down on a down payment as you can. (I haven't ever bought a house either) Also from what my mates say always visit the house a few times at different times of the day....it's to do with neighbours and traffic. Most of all HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE!
Thanks ladies! I appreciate the advice and you can bet I'll be "shopping" around for the next few months. :)
As far as making visits to the homes, my parents will have to do that for us since we're so far away. But my mom is already on it and she's volunteered herself (and my dad, but I don't think he knows it) to make a drive out this weekend to scout-out the area. I love my parents! :)
Post a Comment