Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ahhh...

After about two weeks of being in the moving process, Wes and I are finally pretty much settled in. We have found a "home" not too far from the post, which is perfect in distance and location. I was awake and making phone calls by 7:30 Monday morning- determined to find us a place to live. I found our apartment at 9:30, got the official go ahead from Wes at lunch time and we moved in less than 24 hours later!

Since we didn't have any of the comforts of home, Wes gave me some money to go find the things we absolutely needed. I think I did pretty well and it felt a little like I was back in college or on a game show... "Who Can Buy The Most For The Least???"

Here are some pictures from the move, I accidently posted them backwards and I'm feeling too lazy to correct it... Ha ha!
My new and old cell phones side by side. We got a great "military offer" at Cingular yesterday- Yay! After a week of crumminess, I was delighted to find this beautiful orange while grocery shopping at Fresh Market. This store is similar to Whole Foods and Central Market, but on a smaller scale. Doesn't it just make you want to smile?

This is our new "home," which also makes me smile.


One of the first things I did when I got the keys to our apartment was laundry. I'd just come from the store with detergent and found that there was a small hole in the lid. I don't like to return things... ever, so you can imagine how happy I was when I discovered the hole. This use of a Band-Aid is what my dad would call "Mexican Ingenuity" and it's worked perfectly. :)



The Army is definitely efficient.



The thought of sleeping on this and living in here for 5 months is what brought me to tears.

It's entertaining to see how many steak restaurants across the country claim
"Texas" or other words such as "lone star" or "longhorn" in their names, which imply they are from Texas and have good steaks. Many of them do not (come from Texas... the steak quality I'll leave to your discretion). Take this sauce for instance, which I spotted at a restaurant in Alabama. It looks authentically Texan and even claims, "The best in Texas." However, I've never seen it in my entire life and it's made in New Jersey... Get a rope!

I'm already missing my red couch. :(

The van that took our stuff away... that is not Wes by the way, it's one of the movers.

This was the second morning of the move. I thought the ice on the trees was pretty, but the third day, when snow and ice were added to the weather... I wasn't so happy. I even took my hair dryer out on the balcony (as well as Kosher salt) to melt the ice.









2 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Melissa, I'm glad you found somewhere, the photos of your new home look great! It won't take long and you'll be settled again, when Nidge and I first got married we moved every six months with his work but each place felt like home quite quickly,( but there were some tears along the way too!) God blessx

RachelRenae said...

Yeah, you're right. I would have cried, too. I love your "Mexican Ingenuity", and the orange did make me smile! I'm so happy that you found a place to live. The house looks nice but it would look nicer with a red couch! :)