
Since our move, I have driven by this cute little bakery several times and have wanted to go see about a job. I hadn't gone in because I'd been sick and figured that would be unappetizing to have someone coughing around your cookies.
But after lunch today, I decided this would be the day. I went in as a customer to scope it out and make friendly conversation... to get a feel for the place. I bought two peanut butter cookies with chocolate kisses and two chocolate chip cookies (two for me, two for Wes). They were beautifully displayed in an antique wood case and each type of cookie in it's own glass jar. The walls are painted lime green and the ladies are really friendly.
I did ask about a job, but they don't need any help right now. The owner did take my name and number though, so maybe something will come up. Even though I didn't find a job, it was nice to go and have a little chit chat and it turns out, I ran into a few fellow Texans. The owner is originally from San Antonio and lived in Austin for several years, one of the employees lived in Del Rio, and a salesman that was there at the time was from Cy-Fair! What a small world! The other employee is also new to this area. She just moved here with her husband three weeks ago.
How nice, you go in looking for one thing and come out having met some really nice people and a place to find some yummy cookies too.

2 comments:
Now, My only experience with Texas was El Paso, which every Texan tells me is a poor sampling. I stayed in a hotel called "valu-lodge" with Holiday Inn coasters on the table. It was next to a tattoo parlor called "prick's tattoos".
Perhaps I should visit a different city next time?
Ha ha! Absofreakinlutely! How did you wind up in El Paso? Also avoid Pasadena (AKA: Stinkadena).
The town that I taught in, Sugar Land, was named the #3 city in the US to live in by CNN Money this past year. Very multicultural, lots of great jobs, and tons of shopping... and close to Houston.
But I tend to love the small towns with lots of charm, old traditions and influences from cultures like German, Mexican, and Czech... and of course great food. :)
Post a Comment