Sunday, January 21, 2007

You Would Cry Too...

Okay, so we're here in South Carolina and it has been a very interesting move. We got on the road a day later because of bad weather. Like, we woke up the morning we were supposed to hit the road and there was a mix of snow and ice all over the parking lot and our cars! We saw that after we got a call from my mom letting us know that I-20 was closed til 6:00pm due to ice on the roads. Agh!

So, we stayed in the apartment with only our laptop, crossword puzzles, a couple of books, and some frozen french bread pizzas. Because we'd packed everything up, I had to make the pizzas on aluminum foil and use washclothes (yes, they were clean) as hot pads. As we were eating lunch, I realized that the air that was coming from the vents was COLD! Three hours later the maintenance man rescued us, thank goodness!

The road wasn't too bad... but a Nissan did almost slam into the back of my car when we were exiting in Rustin, LA. There was a guy hauling a trailor in front of Wes (who was in front of me) and he was going as slow as you could possibly go. I guess Ms. Nissan didn't notice until the last second and I heard that screech that you never want to hear. I looked into my rear view mirror and I saw smoke coming off her tires and she'd turned her wheel away from my car. Thank goodness nobody was hurt.

It turns out that our radios drain batteries like a donkey drains a trough and my cell phone of almost 5 years decided to wig-out on me too. It's not completely broken and while I can still make calls, nothing appears on my screen... nothing! Double-AGH! So, I've decided it's time for Wes and I to merge cell phone plans and get a new phone... sometime soon.

When we finally got to Fort Jackson, they told us there was no place reserved for us to live. WHAT?!? Wes called, we read all the info... how can this be?!? So they gave us a room and said that might be our home for the next five months. We arrive at the room and as I'm walking in, Wes says, "Look at the bed." It's a twin size bed... room for one! Plus, our "kitchenette" is a dorm size fridge and tiny microwave. I started laughing and then tears started flowing and I couldn't stop. Wes felt horribly and I assured him that it wasn't his fault. I was so tired and the thought of possibly living like this for 5.5 months was too much.

So tonight, as I'm writing this, we still have no idea where we'll be calling home for the next 5.5 months. We could be getting an apartment off post, which sounds great, right?!? Not so fast... we had all our stuff packed and sent to storage for 5 months... we have nothing... no bed, no pans, nothing to sit on. Why? Because the info we read led us to believe all of that stuff would be provided.

Although I feel like I can't live like this for 5 months, I know that if these are indeed the circumstances we're handed- I can. I'll just have to put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

**I'll post pictures of the move later... maybe soon... maybe not.

2 comments:

RachelRenae said...

Oh, Melissa! I'm so sorry! Moves never seem to go perfectly, but you make the best of it. At least you're with Wes, and not on seperate sides of the ocean. :) In the meantime, I hope they figure out somewhere nicer to put you. My cousin ran into a similar problem when she and her marine husband moved to 29 palms. They straightened it out, though.

By The Way: "put on my big-girl panties and deal with it" is the greatest one-liner I've ever heard! I'm officially adopting it.

Melissa said...

Thanks, Rachel. I have heard stories of what fellow Army wives have had to deal with and it's encouraging to know that not all come to this life-style already brave. :)

I'm glad you liked that line. I can't take credit for it though. I actually adopted it from a former co-worker that had a way of putting things into perspective.