Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Christmas, Houston, and the Bittersweetness of Moving On

Christmas was wonderful as always. Wes and I went to Houston to see my family and did we ever see family. I think we had about 30 something people from my dad's side that showed up and about another 15 or so that didn't. It was really good to see everyone, but bittersweet at the same time. My parents are in the process of building a new home, so this may have been the last Christmas we'll have at this one... where we moved to when I was 5 years old. It's hard to think about, because I have so many good memories there. This is my mom's patriotic tree. What you can't see is that she has it layered in red, white, and blue lights. She was very proud of it, but in typical "Melissa fashion," I ruined it. When she plugged it in, I busted out in laughter. To me, it looked like those Astro Pop suckers that I used buy at little league baseball games. Once I had that thought in my head, I couldn't get it out.
A little reminder of all the great restaurants my husband and I like to visit while we're in Houston. No wonder it was the "Fattest City In The Nation," for a few years running. It's probably best that we don't live there.

Here is the very sparse parking lot at our apartment complex. The sad thing is, it's about to be even sparser. Wes and I are moving to South Carolina this month for his career course. He should be finding out more information about our move this week. I know S.C. is beautiful and that we'll only be there for a few months, but I don't want to move. I'm praying we get stationed back at Fort Hood after his course work is completed. We've already looked at homes around here in case we are able to come back... I'm praying for it.


2 comments:

RachelRenae said...

It's hard to leave the place you love, but South Carolina is so beautiful! That's where Stephen grew up and I just adored it when we visited. We're even praying about moving there. All the same, there's no place like home.

Melissa said...

You are right, South Carolina is beautiful. Wes had some training there for a month during our first summer of marriage. I visited for two weeks and actually commented to him, that if I did have to move away from Texas, I wouldn't mind living in S.C. ...I'd just have to come back "home" as soon as possible. ;)