Today was my second day in the classroom that brought me so much grief on Tuesday. I came armed with an arsenal of stickers, yes, stickers. Now, I actually bought these stickers in August thinking I might need them at some point, but I hadn't used a single one until today. I chose the smiley face stickers, which had about 6 different designs to choose from. There was the bright yellow smiley with sunglasses, the blue nerd with glasses, the lime green exercise buff with a sweatband across his forehead, the orange smiley with the cheesy smile that reminded me of a salesman, the red one with a full mouth of pearly-whites, and my personal favorite (and the one I would've chosen if I were in 4th grade)... the hot pink smiley with a pretty smile.
I was definitely more strict today and felt a little like a hawk, with eyes everywhere at once. I didn't give anyone a break and cracked the whip more than I personally care to, but after Tuesday, that's what they get. But the day was much better and even though they didn't have perfect behavior, it was far improved. I felt like we accomplished much more and they understood my expectations more clearly. And those stickers... I couldn't believe how much they wanted those stickers. Each time I saw someone that was exceptional in participation, working hard, and quiet, I made sure I acknowledged it and gave them a sticker. They wanted the full collection of them and I know some of them completed theirs. Now I have to decide which stickers to pull out tomorrow.
Two side notes...
~I forgot just how messy your hands and nails can get from Vis-A-Vis markers- sick!
~Although I do enjoy the freedom of not having a full-time job, I'm finding that I really miss my deaf kids. Not only do I miss how fun, beautiful, and expressive sign language is, but I also miss working specifically with deaf kids. I can't explain it, but they have a very special place in my heart.

5 comments:
my mom still uses those stickers on me. they sound like the ones that used to come with highlights magazine.
Hey, if it ain't broke... :)
I don't remember the stickers from Highlights, I just remember lots of puzzles that kept my attention.
I think big corporations should adopt the sticker system. "Way to go on that sales presentation, Mr. Smith. Would you like to pick a sticker? Take any one you want!" I know I would work harder if I knew I got to take home a shiny gold star at the end of the day. Talk about motivation!!
LOL... Think about all they money they'd save in bonuses. "This year we will not be having Christmas bonuses, but we do have these nice stickers of stockings and Santa!"
Haha! It's good for everyone involved.
Post a Comment