Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Puddle Of Blue

While falling into a deep slumber last night, I began to smell something... and it was a strong smell. I was in that stage of sleep where you don't really know what's going on and I didn't quite know what I was smelling either.

I'd just washed my sheets before going to bed and thought, "Is that the detergent???" Then snapping out of it, I realized, no it wasn't and something was not right. So I jumped out of bed and walked into the living room where the smell got stronger. When I flipped on the lights, I saw smoke in the kitchen and then realized I was smelling burnt plastic!

I then knew exactly what was going on. I'd started my dish washer before going to bed and a lid from my Ziploc bowl had managed to lodge itself at the bottom of the dishwasher and the heated coil burned right through it.

The whole thing was very familiar to me. Four years ago, when I was asleep, my smoke detector went off. I ran around my place looking for a fire and saw nothing. So I went outside and sat in my car waiting to see a flame and then I'd call a 911. I sat there for a long time and nothing. So I went back inside and found that a lid from my Pyrex dish had been ruined. I felt silly about being so freaked out, but I was more sad about the ruined lid... thankfully, Ziploc is much more dispensable.

No comments: