Monday, October 02, 2006

"And Who Are You Today?"

I had an interesting sub job today. I actually subbed for a teacher whose husband deployed this morning. It's his first deployment and she's going back to work tomorrow... she's a brave girl, braver than me.

Upon walking into school this morning, I ran into a few teachers in the hall that I've talked to before, and they asked me, "And who are you today?" Kinda nice to walk in someone else's shoes for a day.

She's a special ed. resource teacher, so I enjoyed stepping back into that setting and I had two reading classes. She is also an inclusion teacher, which is something I'd given thought to during my first year of teaching. Inclusion teachers go into general ed. classrooms and assist kids with special needs and can also help others in the classroom. It was a neat and exhausting experience because it was a science lab involving lots of powders and liquids. Imagine that, a room full of 5th graders conducting hands-on experiments... loud and messy... Yeah, I went to that class twice!

Other than that, I had tons more free time than the other jobs I've had. I'd have a random 30 min. here... 45 min. there... oh, wait... there's an assembly today... that's another 45 min... then 20 min... lunch... class... and then my conference! I may have added a few min. in there, but you get the jist. I got lots of reading done. While this was kinda of leisurely, I kept thinking, I sure wish I had this kind of time when I was teaching deaf ed. Talk about time to catch up on paper work... sweet!

2 comments:

RachelRenae said...

Thanks so much for your prayers! Our initial anger and shock is wearing off, and now I just feel deeply saddened. I'm alarmed, along with the rest of the country, that so much violence is happening in our schools. As a teacher, do you feel safe going to work, or prepared to handle a situation like these recent ones?

RachelRenae said...

I have a few teacher friends, and all of them say the same thing. "Prayer may not be allowed in school, but I intercede all day". I love praying teachers! What a a powerful position to have- you wield a lot of spiritual authority and you have a large sphere of inluence.

I'm blessed by your heart, and thankful for your role in the Kingdom of God. I happen to be a "praying receptionist". :)