I didn't think I'd have a subbing job for today, so I was planning to take myself to a matinee. But at 7:00 last night, I got a call for a 7th grade science class. I had no idea where this school was at, so right after I got off the phone with the teacher, I grabbed my purse and district map and went out to find it.
Thank goodness I did... the teacher did tell me where to go, but she failed to tell me it was way out in the middle of no where. There was barely any light out at that time, and as I was driving, all I saw was a country church and a couple of trailor homes. I was getting worried that I'd missed it, but then I noticed the road I was supposed to turn on. I'm thankful I went in search of it ahead of time, because this morning, it was pitch black out and I would've missed the road and ended up in the next town.
But here are my subbing stories of the day... I was helping this kid with his work and my stomach growled. Now I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I tend to not take myself too seriously while I'm in the classroom, so I started laughing. The girl across the table from me asked, "Did you eat breakfast this morning?" Yes sweetie, I did... just not enough apparently. Ha!
In another class, a kid asked how old I am. I asked, "How old do you think I am?" He said, "19... or 20???" That made my day! When I told them that I'm 32, I got a few comments like, "No way!," "Naw!"... and one, "That's what I was going to say!" I blew off the kid that guessed right and kept on smiling.

No comments:
Post a Comment